The February 2009 challenge is hosted by Wendy of WMPE's blog and Dharm of Dad ~ Baker & Chef.We have chosen a Chocolate Valentino cake by Chef Wan; a Vanilla Ice Cream recipe from Dharm and a Vanilla Ice Cream recipe from Wendy as the challenge.
February’s challenge is a Flourless Chocolate Cake, Chocolate Valentino, inspired by Malaysia’s “most flamboyant food ambassador”, Chef Wan.
Recipe comes from Sweet Treats by Chef Wan
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
-16 ounces (1 pound) (454 grams) of semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- ½ cup (1 stick) plus 2 tablespoons (146 grams total) of unsalted butter
-5 large eggs separated
1. Put chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of simmering water (the bottom of the bowl should not touch the water) and melt, stirring often.
2. While your chocolate butter mixture is cooling. Butter your pan and line with a parchment circle then butter the parchment.
3. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and put into two medium/large bowls.
4. Whip the egg whites in a medium/large grease free bowl until stiff peaks are formed (do not over-whip or the cake will be dry).
5. With the same beater beat the egg yolks together.
6. Add the egg yolks to the cooled chocolate.
7. Fold in 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and follow with remaining 2/3rds. Fold until no white remains without deflating the batter.
8. Pour batter into prepared pan, the batter should fill the pan 3/4 of the way full, and bake at 375F/190C9. Bake for 25 minutes until an instant read thermometer reads 140F/60C.
Note – If you do not have an instant read thermometer, the top of the cake will look similar to a brownie and a cake tester will appear wet.10. Cool cake on a rack for 10 minutes then unmold.
My two cents
Being Daring Baker brings your soul through the barricates to make something you never dare before.
This is the reason why we challenged ourselves in a marvellous ice cream.
In this case I choose these tips David Lebovitz ice cream without the icecreamer performing his recipe.
One of my dream was eating a bucket of vanilla ice cream, smooth, silky and tasty watching TV, dressing a totally unsexy pigiama like Bridget Jones, singing romantic songs and whithout fatten, obviously.
And sometimes dreams come true, isn't it?
Not in this case.
It remains a dream due to a strictly hard diet I've broken just a little bit, not completely.
So my challenge was doubled by my will.
Just a little bite of this truly scromptious cake, a little bit deflated due to my over-size jelly-pan.
Soooo creamy and smooth and buttery and only a teaspoon of ice cream but I'm proud of myself 'cause in this way I've lost 5 of the 10 kilograms left from my three consecutively pregnancies!
And I'm proud of my little three devils too, they love chocolate like me and crushed my artistic shooting set in few minutes.
And now just invite you to have a look to the other fantastic creations using DB blogroll on my side-bar.
Guess who's the co-host on March challenge? :)))